Alleyscape Construction Update
It is an exciting time for the Alleyscape and Breezeway Project. The Alleyscape construction took place in 2012 on the east side of Main St. on the 300, 400, and 500 blocks. J2 Contracting Company finished the final block in December 2012 and all blocks are donning their new look! The west side of Main St. blocks will begin construction in 2013. View West Side Alleyscape brochure.
The LDDA and City of Longmont are committed to keeping you informed of construction schedules, parking restrictions, street closures and any other impacts the project will have on visitors, businesses, residents, and employees downtown.
Sign up for Email Updates
To stay informed on this project, sign up for our e-mail updates.
West Side Public Meetings Held January 24th
The City of Longmont and the Longmont Downtown Development Authority held two public information meetings about the Alleyscape Constructing that will be taking place on the west side of Main St. in 2013. Items covered during the meetings included:
- West Side Design Concept: embracing the unique character of the west side
- $100,000 in improvement incentives available to business and property owners. Alleyscape Incentive Program.
- Eelivery spots to be designated on Main St. and Avenues during construction
- Phase parking lot closure during construction
- Alternative parking available to permit holders and businesses/residents that will not have access to their private parking during construction. LDDA will notify of locations.
View complete PowerPoint presentation for more information and to see architectural drawings.
Anticipated Dates of Construction on the West Side
The project will take approximately 4 months per block. Remember that construction is a moving target and activities may take shorter/longer as the process unfolds.
300 west block: June - September 2013
400 west block: September -November 2013
500 west block: March - June 2014
Closures to both vehicles and pedestrian traffic will take place during the project. Visitors, businesses, residents, and employees downtown are asked to please adhere to the closures for your safety and use the Main St. business entrance. The alley and parking lot are construction zones and therefore present inherent risks. Construction crews only are allowed in these areas.
Construction is a moving target and activities may take shorter or longer as the process unfolds.
East Side Blocks - finishing touches
The eastside Alleyscape project has a few small items to be finished on the three blocks. J2 Contracting will be working on the 300, 400, and 500 east blocks through approximately mid-May to complete these items (see list below). This work should minimally affect pedestrian or vehicle traffic. View schedule.
- installing access panels and skirts on breezeway light poles
- building Los Arcos attachment columns (located east of alley in the parking lots)
- staining concrete on west end of breezeways
- minor concrete and downspout work
These additional accent items will take place after J2 has completed their work.
- reinstalling Los Arcos
- installing new landscaping in 300 east block
- installing benches near Los Arcos
- installing hanging pots and banners in breezeways
There will be heavy equipment, trip hazards, airborne sparks and debris, and overhead construction within the alley. These and other required construction activities present inherit risks. J2 will take full precaution to minimize these risks to the public. Businesses and tenants please lock your rear access doors and heed the alley closure.
Keep Your Alleys Beautiful: Alleyscape Guidelines
- Do not use chemical cleaners in/around the alleyway. Clean up any spills and if you must rinse, rinse with water only.
- Pick up trash on ground in shared trash enclosures and close trash lids
- Close gates to trash enclosures
- Ask employees and customers to dispose of cigarette butts in trash (consider adding a cigarette receptacle near building)
- Ask delivery drivers to use pull out delivery lanes and setup delivery times around lunch and dinner time
- Pick up pet waste
Click here for a Downtown Parking Map including nearby public lots and street parking.
Parking in the 300 and 500 west parking lots on Coffman Street will be affected at times during the entire construction schedule on the west side. We are working to minimize the impact of this, but due to the nature of the work, there will be times when parking is unavailable in those lots even for permit holders. Here are a few things to note:
- A new public parking lot is now open on the 200 east block of Main St., next to Jester's Dinner Theatre
- Parking is available on both the east and west side of downtown, including the Avenues, and Kimbark and Coffman Streets
For permit holders and those with private parking behind their building: If the lot you hold a permit for is closed or full, your permit does not allow you to park in another permitted lot on Coffman or Kimbark Streets. The LDDA will inform permit holders and individuals with private parking behind their building, of alternate locations that have been secured for their parking use. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (303) 651-8586 if you have not received this notice or if you have questions.
City of Longmont Engineering Services
Chris Huffer, P.E.
Work: (303) 651-8351
Longmont Downtown Development Authority
Del Rae Heiser, Progam Specialist
Work: (303) 651-8586